A Glimmer of Hope for Some Undocumented Immigrants?

January 19, 2012

Good news for individuals that entered the country illegally.  The Obama administration has announced plans to allow some aliens to shorten their immigration process. In essence, the alien can apply for the I-601 “Extreme Hardship” waiver in the United States and have the waiver in hand before returning to their home country to enter the United States through the normal visa process. Allowing the crucial early step to take place in the United States rather than in the immigrant’s home country should shorten the alien’s time apart from there U. S. citizen family.

Normally, individuals that enter the country illegally would have to leave the country and apply for the waiver at the U. S. consulate in their home country. The alien would face long lines and the uncertainty of being granted the waiver. If the alien is not granted the waiver, he or she would be barred from returning to the United States for 3 or 10 years.

This announcement is only a small change but a good step forward to possible new immigration reforms, and allows a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.. If you have any questions on how this change might affect your immigration please contact John Wang at 312.803.4963, or fill out the contact form below.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Phone Number


Your Message


{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: